1.Outline your goal and strategy
2.Set up your brand identity
3.Study web design trends
4.Choose the right website builder
5.Choose the template
6.Add content and perform optimization
7. Launch your website
8.Analyze and improve
In this article, we’ll debunk the myth that to build a professional website, you need to be a guru in marketing and web development. This tutorial will help you set up a nice online platform in a few simple steps. You’ll find out how to analyze your niche, develop your branding, and optimize your content for search engines.
You need to start off with an elaborate analysis. Content on your web pages must reflect your business philosophy and message. Start an open dialogue with your potential customers, talk to them in their language, and offer them something of value. To do that, you need to collect information on your clientele.
Identifying your target audience is of key importance. After all, these are the people for who you’re creating your website. Consider the needs and interests of customers who might want to buy your product or service. Find the answers to these fundamental questions:
- What is an average age and the dominant gender of my potential customers?
- What needs and interests do they have?
- What are their fears?
- What is their level of income?
- What social platforms are they using?
- What information are they searching on the web?
To position your brand in the market and set yourself apart from the crowd, you need to study your competitors. Here are a few useful ideas:
- use search engines to search for competing brands by keywords;
- read your niche-specific forums and comments on social media (as a side bonus, you’ll be able get a better understanding of your potential customers along the way);
- talk to your potential customers, find out what brands they trust and why;
- list your rivals identifying their pros and cons.
USP (unique selling proposition) reflects the unique personality of your brand. In your USP, specify what distinguishes you from other companies in the market and outline the benefits a customer will get by purchasing your product or service.
It’s important to remember that you’re selling not yourself, but a specific value, benefit, or result. Follow in the footsteps of major brands, e.g. “Melts in your mouth, not in your hand” (M&M’s), “30 minutes or it’s free” (Domino’s), “Think different” (Apple).
Now it’s time to put to work the data you’ve collected. Your brand identity (colors, fonts, and logo) creates the first impression of your brand. The visual elements of your corporate style must look organically together on your website.
Your corporate colors have the power to enhance your brand recognition by 80%, so be sure to select your color palette with due diligence.
- Rely on the psychology of colors. For example, red symbolizes emotions and passion; blue transcends comfort and reliability; black and white make you think of elegance and luxury.
- Two or three matching hues will be enough. To compose a balanced color palette, use the color wheel from Adobe Color.
- When mixing your selected colors, stick to the 60/30/10 rule.
Fonts – just like colors – can speak volumes of your business. When selecting your corporate fonts, follow these simple yet effective tips:
- Your industry will help you find the right typography solutions for your website. Remember that a high-tech company and fashion brand need different fonts to communicate their message.
- Avoid mixing more than 2-3 fonts unless you want them to look messy.
- Make sure your selected fonts are perfectly legible. If potential customers have trouble reading your text, it may undermine your overall success.
Logo is a vital element of visual branding, and therefore requires a great deal of attention.
- Choose the appropriate type of emblem: logomark (Nike), logotype (Facebook) or combination mark (Cat).
- Simple and concise, your logo must reflect the essence of your business.
- Create a nice looking logo in just a few clicks on the Logaster website. You only need to enter your company name and select your industry!
Have you already created your own website?
Make it stand out among thousands of others with the unique logo and catchy favicon!
Web design trends are changing like the weather. According to surveys, 48% of customers rank design among the most important parts of a website. While it’s crucial to consider the opinion of your audience, you should not forget about such a thing as visual balance. We’d like to give you a few tips:
- When developing a visual style for your website, think about your industry. Between a consulting company and accessories brand, it’s the latter that relies on trends to achieve success.
- Take a look at the websites of your competitors.
- If you’re lost for ideas, use the timeless classic (minimalism, simple geometry, black and white colors).
- While respecting trends, avoid following them at any cost – otherwise, you’ll end up altering your website design every other month!
Do you really need to hire a professional web developer to create a good website? If you’re on a shoestring budget, don’t worry. With all the advanced web frameworks out there, you can set up a nice, customer-facing platform with no stress.
WordPress is, hands down, one of the most popular and reliable website builders in the world. It’s trusted by such big names as The Wall Street Journal, Forbes, Katy Perry, Mercedes-Benz, General Motors, Sony Music, MTV, Ebay, and others. WordPress boasts an intuitive interface that allows you to add and edit elements with your eyes closed. With more than 1,000 turnkey templates at your disposal, you can get yourself a custom website tailored to the specifics of your audience.
With this amazing website builder, creating a modern website will take you less than an hour! Easy-to-use interface, more than 500 templates, and numerous plugins make Wix a one-stop solution for building all kinds of web pages, from landings to e-commerce sites.
uKit is yet another powerful website framework that can create both single- and multi-page websites. Choose from more than 400 templates and take advantage of valuable insights on filling your pages with content. A huge variety of settings allows you to optimize loading time, track vital stats, and leverage smart marketing tools.
Users love this website builder for its vast functionality. uCoz is an ideal option for sophisticated websites, such as multi-page stores, forums, and blogs. You can easily make adjustments to your website by changing the open source code. In addition, uCoz offers clever SEO tools for promoting your website across search engines.
Packed with functionalities, Webasyst is a professional web framework for experienced users. If you consider yourself a beginner, you’ll probably get lost in its complicated features. Webasyst stands out through its original templates, flexible settings, and high safety standards.
Template (theme) is a group of files that shape your website structure and design. These files outline the arrangement of text, graphics, menus, information blocks, etc.
How to select the right template using any of the above website builders:
- find the right category (e.g., law firm, restaurant, homeware store, etc.);
- browse through ready-to-use templates to get the general idea of what your site will look like;
- choose the best template that fits your needs.
When filling your website with information, the two main things to focus on are content and optimization. Let us explain why we’re putting so much value on these two factors.
Texts and images make up the core of any website. According to the survey, 55 % of users tend to spend 15 seconds on a web page. How do you use this time to pique their interest?
1.Useful texts. It’s a known fact that users only read about 20% of the text on a page. Don’t waste your efforts on abstract, general phrases. Provide your audience with information that really matters to them. Tell them about the value of your products and services. Instead of “The best coffee in town”, it makes sense writing: “We’re using the best roasting technologies to preserve the full taste of our coffee beans.”
2.Visual content. Accompany your text information with imagery (charts, photos, infographics, etc.). This way, you’ll make your content easier to perceive and memorize.
3.F pattern. Did you know that users tend to scan a web page in the F-shaped pattern? Be sure to place the key content in the upper part of your page.
If your website is not displayed among top search engine results, all your efforts creating a good-looking website will end up in vain. Use SEO tools and tricks to drive Google traffic to your site.
1.Identify keywords. Find out what search requests your audience are using to find your site on the web. Incorporate the identified keywords into your texts, paying particular attention to headings and subheadings.
2.Follow a structure. Search engines prioritize sites with a well-organized content. Split your texts into logical paragraphs. Add bullet lists, tables, infographics, etc.
3.Use metadata. Each article must have a title and brief summary. Also, accompany each image with a text description.
4.Add cross links. Add hyperlinks that will send users to other pages of your website. This is a sure way to make your site look more professional and trustworthy to search engines.
5.Make your website mobile-friendly and responsive. Mobile traffic is growing exponentially. On Singles’ Day that took place on November 11, 2019, more than 90% of sales were made via smartphones. Tailoring your site to the needs of your mobile audience is one of the fundamentals of your success.
This moment has finally arrived! Now your website is ready to be shown to your audience. Before the big launch, make sure:
- your website reflects your brand identity and looks unique;
- your site is easy to navigate;
- all articles and posts are accompanied by images or other graphics;
- internal links work properly;
- your website displays properly across different devices (computer, laptop, smartphone);
- your web pages take no longer than 5 seconds to load.
Ask your friends and co-workers to test your site and give feedback. Correct the existing bugs and make other improvements. Now your website is ready to go live!
If you want your website to generate profits, you need to keep tabs on its performance. For this purpose, use the following tools:
- Google Analytics allows you to study your audience’s behaviour (number of views, average time spent on the website, geodata, conversion rates, etc.)
- Google Search Console helps you measure your website’s traffic, fix crawling and indexing bugs, analyze your views and clicks, boost your SEO, etc. This indispensable tool ensures that businesses make the most of their online presence.
The total number of sites on the web has hit the 2 billion mark. The competition for the user’s attention is as tough as ever. To make people keep coming to your platform, you need to continue working on your website.
- Analyze your SEO content to see what works and what doesn’t. Keep an eye on the ever-changing algorithms used by major search engines.
- Find out how your audience reacts to different types of content (text/video, useful/entertaining, etc.) and adjust your website according to their preferences.